Let’s face it – time is probably our greatest resource. We never seem to have enough of it and it seems to pass so quickly. Well we won’t get any more of it and we can’t slow it down.
What we can do is make the most of the time we have. Here are some simple steps you can take to get the most out of your day.
- Plan your day the night before – At the end of each day write out all the things you need to do the following day to achieve your goals. Pull together all the information you’ll need, phone numbers and relevant paperwork.
- Prioritise the list – Number each item and do the harder jobs first. There’s always the temptation to do the easy jobs first. However, think how the thought of doing the hard jobs hangs over you as you do the easy stuff. Think how good you’ll feel when the nasties are out of the way and how motivated you’ll feel.
- Stick to your list – Check off each item as you go and avoid distractions. You don’t need to answer every email/text as they come in. Set a schedule to check your email/notifications once every hour, or whatever works best for you.
- Remember the Three “D’s” – Do it, Delegate it or Dump it. Handle each piece of paper only once. Either do something about it now, delegate it to someone else or throw it in the trash. And remember – “Only do it if only you can do it.”
- Don’t procrastinate – Procrastination really is the “Thief of Time” It’s so easy to put things off till another time or till “I’ve had time to think about it.” DO IT NOW!
- Plan your leisure time – Schedule out time for you to relax, workout, go shopping, whatever it is that you enjoy.
- Be honest with yourself – Keep asking – “Is what I’m doing now getting me to where I want to get to?” if the answer is “no,” change what you’re doing.